Anita’s whole-school approach to primary maths
Anita believes a consistent whole-school approach to maths is essential to improve student understanding and achievement in primary schools.
Anita’s approach to leading maths in primary schools includes all the strategies and tools you need to:
- develop school-wide protocols for maths, including consistent lesson structure and making maths part of your stage/grade
- improve your teachers’ maths content knowledge
- organise your resources so they can be used with ease in the classroom
- implement powerful strategies to differentiate and address gaps in student understanding.
Carlingford West Public School, NSW | staff workshop
Anita grounds her approach in Anita Chin’s Primary Maths Framework (2022) which is the culmination of more than 25 years’ experience in leading and teaching mathematics in Australian schools.
Anita’s Primary Maths Framework
Anita Chin’s Primary Mathematics Framework (2022) provides a structure to support schools on their journey to implement a consistent and sustainable whole-school approach to maths.
It outlines the components necessary for high-quality teaching and leadership in maths which evidence shows lead to improved student outcomes.
Anita’s Framework is unashamedly for maths alone. Anita has synthesised a range of evidence-based teaching practices and combined these with her extensive experience of what works best in primary maths classrooms to create a unique Framework that translates the theory into practice for teachers of primary maths.
The framework comprises 4 components:
- your school’s ultimate goal of a whole-school approach (navy curved banner), with teacher dispositions and practices, student dispositions and practices (orange bubbles)
- 10 elements of high-quality maths lessons (coloured jigsaw pieces arranged in four layers)
- requirements for teachers to teach maths (teal)
- a dedicated crew leading mathematics school-wide (navy base).
Anita’s tools for leading primary maths
Anita has developed a suite of tools to support leaders to implement a consistent whole-school approach to maths K–6.
Anita’s 360º School Reflection Tool
Designed to be used at key milestones on your learning journey with Anita, the Reflection Tool allows you to analyse your situation and plan the next steps to meet your school’s strategic goals for maths.
image coming soon
Anita’s Accountability Tools
Anita’s Accountability Tools are used by your maths team and classroom teachers to assist them to plan and record their implementation and progress towards their strategic goals in maths.
Anita’s Ultimate Toolkit for Leaders
Using her trademark practicality to bring the research alive, Anita’s Ultimate Toolkit folder is jam-packed with the tools and strategies you need to drive sustainable improvement in maths.